Monday, June 08, 2009

YA Author Interview with A.E. Cannon!

The summer is here and Summer Reading is well underway at all of our library branches! Make sure that you're signed up and check out all of the programs that we have to offer!!!

We have our second author interview for you from author A.E. Cannon, who wrote The Loser's Guide to Life and Love: A Novel! Ann was such a good sport participating in our interview and even typed all her responses with a broken wrist!!! We hope you get to feeling better soon and thanks for your time!!!



What inspired you to begin writing?

Well, I liked to read when I was a kid, although I realize in retrospect that I probably didn’t read as much as some kids. In a way that gives us all hope, doesn’t it? That an average kid CAN grow up to be a writer?

I did love LITTLE WOMEN and thought it would be great to be Jo March. And of course Jo was a writer. So she was a huge inspiration. And then my mother always showed an interest in my stories (which I started to write in the sixth grade) and that helped, too.

What was your biggest inspiration for The Loser’s Guide to Life and Love or was it meant as a modern-day interpretation of A Midsummer Night’s Dream?

I’ve always loved the way Shakespeare employs confusion about identity as a comic device, so naturally I thought of his plays the summer my son worked at a video store and had to wear a nametag that identified him as (you guessed it!) “Sergio.” The amazing thing was that as the summer rolled on, he became more and more Sergio-esque. He slicked his hair back and started to walk like a confident ladies man, which he definitely was not. We were all amused, so naturally the writer in me said, “There’s a novel in this.”

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

I have a lot of interests, which is nice on the one hand and frustrating on the other. Never enough time! But I like to garden, read mysteries, travel, go on long walks, hang out with my family and friends, knit, crochet, watch baseball and play with my dogs. One of my dogs (a newfie) weighs 175 pounds.

What book are you reading now?

I just finished a great mystery by a Norwegian writer Karin Fossum called THE INDIAN BRIDE. Very well done and satisfying. I just started reading a YA novel called (I think) SUZY, LED ZEPPELIN AND ME by Martin Millar.

Are you working on anything new?
I sent in a manuscript last week about a fifth-grade girl who finds a magic diary. I hope I can sell it!

If you could be a superhero, who would you be?

I LOVE THIS QUESTION!! No one has ever asked me this before. I would be any superhero as long as that superhero looks like Angelina Jolie.

__________________________________________________________________________

Again, thanks to Ann for participating in our YA Author Interview! For more information about Ann or her books, check out her website at http://www.aecannon.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment