Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die for Me
Author: Amy Plum
Pub Date: May 10, 2011
Pages: 344
Genre: Paranormal/Young Adult
Find It: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

  Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
  Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
  Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
  While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love? (Goodreads)

First off, love the cover. If I was at the library (hint, hint) and just browsing the shelves (hint, hint), this cover would definitely grab my attention.  It's beautiful and haunting from the curlicues, the beautiful dress, to the Eiffel Tower in the background.  I think by not getting to see Kate's face, I'm in a way drawn into the story.  I want to know what she is looking for...what she is longing for, maybe?  I don't know, maybe you should read the book and find out. :)

So, what's Die for Me really about, you ask?  Not vampires.  Let's just get that out of the way.  Welcome to the world of revenants, just another name for zombies, and their own unique histories, behaviors, moral codes.  The author does an excellent job on all the characters, from Kate's sister and grandparents, to the love interest, Vincent, and the other revenants, Jules, Ambrose, and Charlotte (love them!).

Just like every good novel, Die for Me, draws the reader into a world of drama, romance, and the battle of good versus bad.  Kate and Vincent's relationship from the beginning was very interesting, especially as Kate has to deal with the weird supernatural stuff that gets thrown her way.  I'm wondering how the author will deal with Kate, who is getting over the death of her parents, falling in love with someone who essentially doesn't have to die if he doesn't want to.  Vincent can stay young forever (read the book to get the info on that one!), but after meeting and falling in love with Kate, decides to age with her.  Die for Me is book one in a series, so maybe the next few books touch on this. 

Overall, if you are looking for something new in the paranormal world, this is your book.  If you don't mind a little romance thrown in with your evil revenant hunting and butt kicking, then read on!  Book two, Until I Die, is expected out sometime in 2012, and I've already added it to my to-read list on goodreads.  What about you?

*reviewed by Joy @ Ouachita Valley

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this one as well. Especially the romance and revenants sub plots. Oh and I agree, the cover is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete