Monday, October 24, 2011

Do you judge a book by its cover?

To judge or not to judge? Don't lie. You know you do it.  I do it.  We librarians here at OPPL are trying to encourage you to look beyond the cover to see what is written inside is what is important, but I will admit, yes, I can get drawn into a well developed book cover!  No shame in admitting it.  That's what it is there for!  Then, there are the times when the title alone will secure the read/check out/purchase of a book.  No questions asked.  Just give it to me, thank you very much. 

So, today's list consists of some of the

Books Whose Titles Or Covers Made Me Check Them Out.




1.  Divergent by Veronica Roth.  Cover and Title.  (Does this count for 2?)  I saw this book, loved the cover, the title, and actually bought it the day it came out.  Thankfully, the book lived up the all build-up, at least for me. :) I l-o-v-e it.  No, really. This is my favorite YA book of the year (so far).




2. Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Cover. Oh, my. Seriously. This cover is insane.  And, did you know on the inside there is another cover?  I know!!  Genius! One cover to appeal to the girls, and one cover to appeal to the guys. Pretty smart thinking...
 












3. Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey. Cover. Love the cover.  I just checked this one out, and haven't read it yet. I really like what the cover artist did with the title letters.

4.  The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith. Cover. Something about this cover drew me in.  I saw it on the shelf one day, and just grabbed it and added it to my checkout pile!  I like the steampunkish quality to it. I like how there are two different images in the two different lenses.


5. I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. Cover and Title. I hadn't heard anything about this book before a friend showed it to me and said, "You have to read this!"  I looked at it, and thought to myself, "Okay." That was it.  That was all it took.  I love this series. 

6. Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon. Cover and Title.  I just checked this book out this week.  I'm intrigued by both the title and the cover.  I want to know why she floating like this, and what mark is she carrying? I can't wait to read this one!

7. Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr and others. Cover and Title. Oh, this book grabbed my attention from on the shelf. It was a combination of the cover, the title, and the authors.  This one book has stories from Melissa Marr, Kelley Armstrong, Claudia Gray, Carrie Ryan, Kami Garcia, Ally Condie, Rachel Vincent, and more. What more could you ask for in one book?

8. Flawless by Lara Chapman. Cover. This cover intrigued me. The tag line reads, "Gorgeous friend. Shared crush. Big problem." After you read this, you think about the drama that is going to happen in this book, and you think you know what is going to be the "big problem," but you have no idea!

9. Stolen by Lucy Christopher. Cover and Title. With this book, I will admit to knowing something beforehand.  I knew this book came out in 2010 and was awesome, and I had been putting it out on display for awhile hoping a teen would see it and pick it up.  Sometimes, I have to force myself to not pick up the YA books and leave some for the teens to checkout! Then, I heard this book was chosen as one of four 2011 Printz Honor Books, which means it is a pretty awesome book. So, I broke my rule and checked out this book.  I've met Lucy Christopher in person, and she is a really sweet YA author who didn't mind talking to an overexcited librarian about her book. Let me tell you guys something: this book lives up to the honor. 

10. Stork by Wendy Delsol. Cover. Such a beautiful cover with its wintry ice. Check out the tag line here: Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.  I'm hooked! 

No comments:

Post a Comment