Friday, July 20, 2012

YA Author Interview with Sarah Beth Durst!


The Ouachita Parish Public Library's YA Department is proud to present an interview with YA author Sarah Beth Durst!

Sarah Beth is the author of six YA novels:  Into the Wild, Out of the Wild, Ice, Enchanted Ivy, Drink, Slay, Love, and (her latest novel coming out in September) Vessel

Here is what Goodreads has to say about Vessel:

In a desert world of sandstorms and sand-wolves, a teen girl must defy the gods to save her tribe in this mystical, atmospheric tale from the author of Drink, Slay, Love."Liyana has trained her entire life to be the vessel of a goddess. The goddess will inhabit Liyana's body and use magic to bring rain to the desert. But Liyana's goddess never comes. Abandoned by her angry tribe, Liyana expects to die in the desert. Until a boy walks out of the dust in search of her.
 Korbyn is a god inside his vessel, and a trickster god at that. He tells Liyana that five other gods are missing, and they set off across the desert in search of the other vessels. For the desert tribes cannot survive without the magic of their gods. But the journey is dangerous, even with a god's help. And not everyone is willing to believe the trickster god's tale.

The closer she grows to Korbyn, the less Liyana wants to disappear to make way for her goddess. But she has no choice: She must die for her tribe to live. Unless a trickster god can help her to trick fate--or a human girl can muster some magic of her own.
We are so happy because Sarah Beth was kind enough to take time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions for our YA blog!  Here's what she had to say:

1. Your 6th book is coming out in September. How excited are you?

You know how Snoopy does this dance with his eyes closed, ears up, and feet thumping as fast as a jackrabbit's? That excited. Really, I know this is number six and I should feel like a veteran by now, but I'm as excited as a five-year-old on the eve of her sixth birthday.

2. Each of your novels focuses on different characters/creatures. Where do you get your ideas for new novels?

It's simple. I ask myself, "What do I think is awesome?" And then I try to write a story about that.

Seriously, I use the what-do-I-think-is-awesome question as my key litmus test in both hatching a novel and in developing it. For VESSEL, it went something like this:

Me: You did the Arctic. How about the opposite? A desert!
My brain: Sure. So long as I can write in air conditioning.
Me: But it needs more than sand... Beaches have sand. I want desert awesomeness.
My brain: How about wolves made of sand? Oooh, and dragons. No... Sky serpents! Made of unbreakable glass! And gods and goddesses that walk the earth. And...
Me: Okay, okay. Write that.

And I did.

3. Is there a reason you write YA novels, or is that the direction your writing has always taken?

Some stories call for young protagonists; some call for older ones. When I write, I try very hard not to think about the audience. I focus on what the story and its characters need.

4. Would you ever write an adult, or even a children's, book?

Yes. :) I actually just sold my first adult trilogy, THE LOST, THE MISSING, and THE FOUND to Luna.

5. Your last work, Drink, Slay, Love, is a great novel! I felt as if Pearl's story could go on the way it ended, though. Any plans for a sequel?

So happy you enjoyed it! I don't have any immediate plans for a sequel, but I do love Pearl and Evan and Bethany so who knows what the future will bring...

My next novel (coming in September from S&S) is VESSEL, and it's about a girl in a harsh desert land who is destined to sacrifice herself so that her clan's goddess can inhabit her body... but her goddess never comes.

6. How has life changed for you since you've become a published author?

I am constantly being sent unicorns through the mail. It's getting a bit crowded here, and the mailman is starting to complain...

Seriously, I think the biggest and best change has been my being able to say to myself, "I'm an author." It's something I've wanted since I was ten years old (after I accepted that I probably wouldn't be able to be Wonder Woman).

7. If your life were made into a movie, which actress would you want to play you?

Someone with curly hair. My hair is so memorable that I'm convinced that no one has ever bothered to notice what my facial features look like. So just stick someone with curly hair up on the screen, and it will be me.

8. Your blog is so much fun to read! Your characters are always just as witty. Are any characters based on yourself, or do you see yourself in any of your characters?

*blush* Thanks! I know bits of myself seep into all my characters, but I don't deliberately place myself in any of them.


Quickfire Round: (Just for fun!)

1. Raisinets or Goobers?

Raisinets. They're my muse.

2. Snoopy or Scooby-Doo?

Snoopy. (Honestly, I made the Snoopy reference above before even reading this question!)

3. Vampires with bad breath or Werewolves with fleas?

Werewolves with fleas. I think it would be easier to dump flea powder on a sleeping werewolf than to try to brush a vampire's fangs.

4. Flying broomstick or flying carpet?

Flying broomstick. I don't know how you hold on to a flying carpet.


Thanks so much for interviewing me!

________________________________________________________________________

A big thanks to Sarah Beth for taking the time to participate in our YA Author Interview!  If you want to learn more about Vessel or any of Sarah Beth's other books, then check out her website and blog at http://www.sarahbethdurst.com/.

*Interviewed by Casie, YA @ Cpl. J. R. Searcy Memorial Library

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I can't wait to read Vessel!

    ReplyDelete