Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I am Number Four Review

Since the fourth Lorien Legacy book was released a couple weeks ago, I’ve decided to review I am Number Four.  I listened to this book via Overdrive (a free app from the library) back in August.  


I am Number Four is a sci-fi book based on earth in the present day.  The name character, John Smith, is not an average high school student, hr is in fact an alien from the planet Lorien.  He and his guardian Henri move from place to place trying to fit in and go unnoticed.  Henri and John have a special bond that makes them closer than family.  On Lorien there are two races of sentient beings—the Garde, which have superpowers and the Cêpan, who act as the guardians and trainers of the Garde.  John and Henri were sent to earth when it was overran and destroyed by the Mogadorians.  The Mogadorians took over Lorian after using all their resources on their home planet, Mogadoria.  Now that the Mogadorians are on earth; they are studying it and its inhabitants to make a plan to overtake it as they did with Lorien.   


John and Henri have moved to Paradise, Ohio—a small rural town.  In Paradise John makes human friends and enemies for the first time in his life.  Sarah Harte, the charming photographer, and Sam Goode, a strong believer in aliens, become John’s friends immediately and Mark James, the school bully, finds John to be a good target.


7747374I personally, am not a huge fan of this book.  I like sci-fi, but this may not have been the one for me.  I am Number Fourwas by any means bored or bad; it just never quite clicked with me.  It may have been the voice actor who read the audiobook; his female voices always sounded whiney regardless of if they were or not.  The reason may have been the predictable of the story.  At no time did I ever think “OMG! What’s going to happen next?”  Now in saying that, I would like to state that the story wasn’t uninteresting, it was very interesting.  It was just was predictable. 


My final issue with this book is the names! Harte and Goode were good characters and John Smith is a guy trying to fit in and be average.  Even the author’s name is cheesy, Pittacus Lore.  If you look up his bio on Goodreads.com it says“Pittacus Lore is Lorien's ruling Elder. He has been on Earth for the last twelve years, preparing for the war that will decide Earth's fate. His whereabouts are unknown. Umm... okay, that’s a little weird.  Most author bios say “Hi, I’m so-n-so and I live in Blah-Blah-Blah City with my hubby and dog, Chester” or something to that effect.  To me this makes the author seem self-important.  It’s one thing to have a strange pseudonym (like Lemony Snicket does); it’s a whole other level of odd to name yourself the high ruler of an entire planet and race of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment