Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Raven Boys Review


Title: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle Bk. #1)

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Boys Cycle; Book #1
Published: September 18th 2012 by Scholastic Press 

Every April 25th on St. Mark’s Eve, Blue and her psychic mother sit in a churchyard along the Corpse Road.  Her mother sees the souls of the townspeople that will die within the next year.  Blue never sees the souls, until the year she goes to the Corpse Road with her Aunt Neeve.  Blue sees the soul of Gansey--an Aglionby boy--she's never met.  But something is wrong, because only seers should see the souls of the future dead. 


"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love . . . or you killed him."

Let’s be honest—I was not sure if I would enjoy this book, but my mom suggested it and I did like the novel Shiver, which is also written by Maggie Stiefvater.  Initially I assumed The Raven Boys was a merely ghost story, but upon meeting the Aglionby boys I realized that it was also an adventure story.  This novel defies classification by genre, because it contains both adventure and paranormal/supernatural elements.   It’s very well written, when Blue and the boys are in the helicopter I could see the Henrietta mountains in my mind’s eye, and the plot has some great twists and turns throughout the novel. 

So, hat's off to Maggie Stiefvater--You've done it again! 

If you like The Raven Boys, you may also want to check-out one of Maggie Stiefvater's other series. For Twi-hards or the werewolf enthusiast, I suggest The Wolves of Mercy Falls  series, but for readers who love the fey folk try the Book of Faerie series.  If you are looking for a Stiefvater book that isn't a series you can try The Scorpio Races--which has been awarded numerous awards include the 2012 Printz Honor.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Shiver series, but I am more apt to start it after loving The Raven Boys! Thanks for giving me the link to read your review and I am so glad I wasn't the only one the ending confused!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shiver is good, but not nearly as good as the Raven Boys. It's what I tell my teens to read if they liked Twilight. It's with wolves, but it's actually written well and the protagonist isn't so needy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great, isn't it? :) i love Stiefvater! (nice review - short and to the point!)
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I work in a library, I don't have an English background. I actually have a degree in wildlife bio. We were always taught to be efficient with our writing, with no extra glam and glitz... I just that still effects my writing style.

      Delete