Monday, March 24, 2014

Movie Review: Divergent



Movie Review
Based on: Divergent
 Book #1 of the Divergent Series
By: Veronica Roth

Thursday night I got to see Divergent in theatres, and since it’s a book to movie adaptations I thought it might be fun to review or critic the movie.  First of all, I want to saw…read the book first. The movie makes more since like that and it’s just a better options… always!

Going into the movie I was nervous about how it would turn out, my heart has been crush by Hollywood on several occasions (Percy Jackson, Lovely Bones, Inkheart—to name a few), there have been other times when I am super please with the movie (The Hunger Games, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter).  When you are seeing a movie of a book you really like there are a few things you need to remember…
·         The direction, costume designer, and set designer can’t read your mind.  Also, who often do we just feel in descriptive gaps left by the author.
·         Hollywood wants to get readers and nonreaders to see the movie.  Which means the commercials will show more than the blub, and they will usually play up some part of the book, like the romance or action.
·         The fantastic internal monologue of the book will (most likely) not be in the movie.
·         Movie special effects and imagination aren’t on the same level.
·         A movie is about two hours long, the book was about 500pages. 

Okay, on to my opinion on the movie.  I when I first found out that Shailene Woodley was going to play Tris, I was bummed out.  My only impressions of her where the 5 or 6 lines she said in Monk as a child and  her moody, irritating rule as Amy Jergins in Secret Life of the American Teenager.   Then I found out she was going to play Hazel Grace in this summer’s The Fault in Our Stars.  I’d heard (via his Facebook account) that John Green was absolutely in love with her as an actress.  I trust John Green’s opinion so I thought maybe she would do fine. OH MAN! She was great.  Throughout the book Tris is described as small and plain and throughout the movie she looked plain and small.  The only think that messed up her smallness is that Christiana (Zoe Kravitz, daughter of Lenny Kravitz) was several inches small that Tris.

I think that costuming in this movie was very good. I also imagined the Abnegation all wearing the same style tunics to make them more of a unit and less of an individual. I’m not sure if that was actually in the book or if I added that myself.  Also, the Amity people wore yellow and red, but also had a lot of greens on.    The Dauntless, Erudite, and Candor clothing were excellent. Dauntless had the crazy colored hair, piercings, and tattoos.  The Erudite wear royal blue clothes, glasses, and always carried briefcases.  The Candor had on suit or blazers.  Whenever you saw a scene of the city, the people were always segregated from each other.

The movie wasn’t perfect, but it was good.  I think for book to movie adaptations they did excellently about the same level as The Hunger Games.

·         The scenery often seems very artificial.  It just wasn’t quite right.
·         It ending was different, not bad just different.  Honestly, it was a little more exciting.
·         Susan Black wasn’t in the movie, but Madge wasn’t in The Hunger Games movie so I feel like it’s fair.
·         The Dauntless born initiates weren’t in the movie (I’m a huge Uriah fan)
·         The friendships between Tris, Christiana, Will, and Al didn’t develop… at all.  It didn’t seem like Al betrayed her because they didn’t seem like friends beforehand.
·          No one eye got stabbed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment