Tuesday, May 27, 2014

“My Top Ten of My Favorite Diverse Books”




Top Ten Tuesday May 27
Top Ten Tuesday Freebie! Pick your own topic!
#weneeddiversebooks

16187987615721624
3250465693208
#Weneeddiversebooks is a campaign to encourage writers and publisher to produce more diverse books.  Our books arent reflecting our people of in honor of the # weneeddiversebooks my TTT is
 
My Top Ten of My Favorite Diverse Books

1.   Any book by Randa Abdel-Fattah!
Abdel-Fattah is a Muslim woman with Palestinian and Egyptian heritage, but grew up in Sydney, Australia.  In two of her books that Ive read (Does My Head Look Big in This?, and Ten Things I Hate About Me) the main character is an Australian-Muslim teenage girl. The other one which takes place in Palestine had a thirteen year old Palestinian girl as the protagonist.  Abdel-Fattah is an excellent author!
2.  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Alexie Sherman This book is about Junior, a Native American boy with a stutter, a lisp, and has a big head due to a birth defect.  This is a topnotch book.
3.  Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen
The main character in this book has Tourette’s syndrome, which also affects the author. This is the only YA book to date that I know of where the protagonist has Tourettes maybe Im wrong and theres other out thereif any of yall know of some Id like to know.  This is a really good book and I highly suggest it.
4.   The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The main character of this book is autistic.  I very much enjoyed this book. 
5.   Orleans by Sherri L. Smith
Like dystopian novels? Is your heart in New Orleans? This book is perfect lives in crazy world where people arent judged by the color of their skin, but by their blood type.  There are many races of people in this bookwhite, black, Chinese.

And here are my other five books--no description, just covers (I'm being lazy after the three day weekend)

3684681134127712753231
1337717261129


4 comments:

  1. I love Haddon's and Farmer's novels so much, among my favorites! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic. I actually haven't read any of these but I do have Monument 14 on my bookshelf waiting to be read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finish the third book in the Monument 14 series... Loved it! They are all fantastic!

      Delete