Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Review: Dr. Bird’s Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos


Dr. Bird’s Advice for Sad Poets Discussion
Title: Dr. Bird’s Advice for Sad Poets
Author: Evan Roskos
Hardcover, 310 pages
Published March 5th 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommendation. For readers who enjoyed book full of teen angst like Perks of Being a Wallflower or It's Kind of a Funny Story will enjoy this book.

Summary.


Review.
For the most part I enjoyed this book; even though it was obvious that this is the author’s first book.  I picked it up because I liked the title and cover.  I am not a big poetry fan, and most of my poetry knowledge comes from novel referencing different poetics.  I enjoyed the Walt Whitman references in this book, and I thought it was creative how sometimes the prose writing seemed very poetic. 

As someone who does not suffer from depression, it was hard to see James going through it. I wanted to shout at him and tell him, “Just decide to be happy, and you will be.” I know that depression is a mental illness and doesn’t actually work like that.

15764032

The title of this book mentions Dr. Bird.  When I first read the title you think that Dr. Bird is a psychiatrist or English professor, but in fact Dr. Bird is James’s imaginary therapist who happens to be a pigeon.  Even though Dr. Bird’s name appears in the title she (or it) is not the main character, James is.  I have read several book reviews by other bloggers about this book.  One blogger side the title is misleading and makes the reader think that Dr. Bird plays a more important role in the book than her does.  I disagree with that.  I feel like Dr. Bird has a very big role in the book.  She is a piece of James’s mind; the part that encourages him to get help, to feel better, and to make something of his life.  Dr. Bird stems from the piece of James’s mind that still believes he can be happy and enjoy his life.

The school teachers and administrators frustrated me so much.  I feel like they should have helped Jorie more when she was a student.  I also feel that after they kicked Jorie out of high school, that they should have help James adjust to the new situation.  They should have suggested that he go to counseling sessions at the school.  Especially, because they knew that there was probably violence in his home.

All in all I enjoyed this book, but feel like there are better books in the “teen angst” genre or niche.

Likes.
·        I love, love, love the title and the covers. It’s what drew me into the book.  I was just walking around the library and it caught my eye and I had to read it.
·        I liked that James referred to his parents at the Brute and the Banshee.  I often nickname people in my head and though it was amusing to see it done in a book.
·        Mrs. Yao.  I like how James describes her and being just plain and as someone who doesn’t want to be noticed. It’s amazing to me that someone’s who profession is standing in front of people every day wouldn’t want to be noticed.
·        I like the sad reality of Jorie.  Her life seems terrible, is terrible, but it’s at least better than when she was at home.
·        Proper shows depression as up and down thing.  I also like how James struggles with whether or not he wants to be medicated.

Dislikes.
·        It just kind of ended.  I’m usually okay with this, but the story has no conclusion what so ever.
·        I don’t exactly understand why Derek is James’s friend.  Derek seems way too cool for James.
·        It broke my heart when the ceiling photograph tree was ruined.



No comments:

Post a Comment