Ketchup Clouds Discussion
Title: Ketchup Clouds
Author: Annabel Pitcher
Hardcover, 261 pages
Published November 12th 2013
by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
For readers who like realistic fiction.
This book leads up to a murder, in the same way that The Thirteen Reasons Why leads up to a suicide. The reader knows from the get-go that one of Zoe’s crushes will end up dead. However this book isn’t as dark or emotionally like The Thirteen Reasons Why. The narrator, Zoe, is looking to be consoled by an innate on death row in Texas. In some ways this book is written like Perks of Being a Wallflower, because the narrator is writing letter to a stranger. However, Ketchup Clouds seems more like a one-way conversation opposed to a diary entry.
In this book Zoe is retelling the events of the previous year to Mr. Harris. I think she is looking for a sense of comradery with Mr. Harris. Even though this book involves one girl who has feelings for two different guys, brother to be exact, this isn’t a love triangle book. It’s a book about guilt and regret.
· I love the cover and the title, that’s why I read it. Still not 100% sure why that title was chosen, but it got me to pick up the book so I guess it worked.
· I liked Zoe; she is honest and has true-to-life feelings.
· I like how Zoe feels closer and closer to Mr. Harris. She begins calling him Stuart, and then Stu. She makes up scenarios about his life that are hypothetical and later she views them as facts.
· This was a good break from all the romantic YA books I’ve been reading lately—Matched, Eleanor & Park, TFioS, and Requiem. I’m not saying I don’t like the romance, but it’s nice to read something else.
· I love Zoe’s relationship with her sisters—Soph and Dot. Zoe is a good older sister who looks out for her siblings. She accepts them for their faults and loves them regardless.
· The way Zoe’s mom wants to change Dot is so frustrating. Let Dot be Dot.
· The fact everyone allows Sondra to use Zoe as a cooping tool seems wrong. I feel like Zoe’s parent would understand why Zoe wouldn’t want to be around Sondra.