Monday, October 20, 2014

Book Review: Pride of Baghdad by Brian Vaughan



2133652Pride of Baghdad Discussion
Title: Pride of Baghdad
Author: Brian Vaughan
Hardcover, 136 pages
Published September 13th 2006 by Vertigo
----------------------------------------------------
Recommendation.  
Readers of nonfiction graphic novels

This book teaches many powerful lessons.  I think it would be a good book for a discussion group or book club.

Summary.
This book tells the story (in illustrations and words) about the 2003 bombing of the Baghdad Zoo.  The story is about a pride of lions who are ripped out of the comfort of here enclosure into the chaos of war. 

In the beginning of the book, the pride of lions think that their biggest problem is the arguments amongst themselves, but soon they realize that outside forces can be the driving force that either tears a family apart or makes them realize they need each other.

Review.
This book was recommended to me by two people in the same week; so I had to read it. I didn’t get up from my sofa until I was done—no bathroom breaks, snack breaks, and I didn’t even check my phone.   This book was very powerful and very unique.  It exposed me to a piece of history I wasn’t familiar with.  I would love to see this book read in history classes, but due the sexual nature in parts of this book, I understand why a teacher would be hesitant to assigning it to a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment