Monday, November 17, 2014

Book Review: The Memory of After by Lenore Appelhans



10861195Level 2 Discussion
Title: Level 2 or The Memory of After
Series: The Memory Chronicles #1
Author: Appelhans, Lenore
Hardcover, 281 pages
Published January 15th 2013
by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers


Note to the Readers
This book has been renamed from Level 2 to The Memory of After.  I read a copy called Level 2, but I personally like The Memory of After better.

Which title do you like better?  Which cover do you prefer?


12614754Recommendation.  
I really, really didn’t like this book so I’m not going to recommend it to anyone.

Summary.
I’m still confused about this book, so I don’t feel like I can give it an accurate summary.  I will say, it’s about Felicia’s after-life in “Level 2” which we find out is sort of a limbo-ish place.  This book is really odd because it has advanced technology like a sci-fi, but also angels like a paranormal book.  

Review.
This is probably the worse book I ever finished.  The plot never quite made sense. I read this book hoping it would be like Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, an interesting book about the afterlife, but it is choppy, confusing, and I didn’t connected to many of the characters.

Likes.
·      The only thing I liked about this book, and probably the only reason I finished reading it was, I was interested in Felicia’s life.  I wanted to know more about Felicia, her Gran, and dad.
Dislikes.
·      I never connected to any of the characters.  They never seemed real.  I just didn’t care for any of them.
·      Level 2 and the afterlife as a whole seemed too weird and confusing.
·      It seemed like the author didn’t quite know where she wanted the book to go or what the genre was going to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment